I never heard of this thing either til just the other day but I’ve been nominated by Diane Brander on her blog How I Became a Writer for the Liebster Award, which is a means of discovering new, low traffic blogs. I’m thrilled Diane likes my blog enough to nominate me.
What is the Leibster Award?
Basically, the Liebster Award (which I keep misspelling – my name is Leiper, I’m not used to starting words with Lie) is a “pay it forward” blog chain designed to promote small-audience blogs you like – and your own blog. There seem to be several sets of rules, but these are the rules Diane posted so I’ll stick with those as much as I can:
1. Post the award on your blog.
2. Thank the blogger who presented this award and link back to their blog.
Yes indeed, thanks Diane, and do check out How I Became a Writer, it looks pretty cool and I’ve already found a few posts I like.
3. Write 11 random facts about yourself.
Okay that’s a bit tricky.
1. I crochet. The correct term for someone who crochets is a “hooker” – we use a hook. Look it up.
2. My favourite module at university was the ceramic analysis module I did in my masters year.
3. My favourite book is Howl’s Moving Castle by Diane Wynne Jones.
4. Even though I did a character study on Zuko, my favorite ATLA character is Sokka. Here is a haiku about Sokka:
They call me Sokka
That is, in the Water Tribe
I am not an oaf.
(Yes I have that memorised)
5. I am engaged. I have been engaged for seven years.
6. I am in the process of researching a non-fiction book about the ancient Greek city of Corinth, from the neolithic period to the city’s destruction at the hands of the Romans in 146BCE. This is because Corinth is severely underrepresented in literature about the time period compared to Athens and Sparta. Everyone forgets Corinth. Not me.
7. I hate ironing. It is my least favourite chore.
8. I used to know the Jabberwocky by heart, but I’m out of practice now.
9. I once tried to learn the Modern Major General song by heart but eventually gave up.
10. My kitchen is red themed, or at least the parts of it we could pick colours for: kettle, toaster, teatowels, crockery etc. I like red.
11. I don’t like being barefoot. I wear slippers in the house. The only times I am barefoot are when water is involved (showering, swimming, at the beach etc).
4. Nominate 11 bloggers who you feel deserve this award and who have less than 200 followers.
I don’t even follow 11 blogs, much less 11 with fewer than 200 followers. But since the official rules of the Liebster Award allow for 5-11 blogs, I’m going with the minimum of five, all from fellow Mythic Scribes members:
Check them out.
5. Answer 11 questions posted by the presenter and ask your nominees 11 questions.
Okay, here are the questions Diane has asked me:
1) At what age did you start writing?
About 8 or 9. I wrote and drew a comic about my mum which Dad photocopied at work so I could colour it in in different colours. I also wrote a story about a magical black cat which could walk between dimensions and bring people with her.
2) What is your greatest writing success so far?
I got a short story, Ailith’s Gift, published in Myths Inscribed. That was pretty cool.
3) What is your favourite book?
Howl’s Moving Castle. Oops, I’ve done that one above in my facts. Well, it’s so good it’s worth mentioning twice. I love that book.
4) What was the first book you bought?
Probably a Horrible Histories book or a Redwall book. It was a long time ago. Either way, both those things gave me a foundation for one of my two interests now – ancient history and writing fantasy.
5) What is your favourite song?
It depends on my mood and changes on a regular basis. Overall, I’d say The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel.
6) What is your favourite holiday destination?
Anywhere would be nice at the moment. No but seriously, the southern Brittany coast, specifically the bit around where my grandparents live near Sarzeau. There’s this little place called Saint Jacques which has a little harbour and some great beaches, there are dolmens nearby (neolithic chamber tombs), there’s Vannes half an hour’s drive away which is such a beautiful medieval city. There’s Chateaux du Suscino down the coast too which is stunning (and really close to the best beach of the lot).
7) If you only had 24 hours to live, what would you do?
Spend it with my fiance and my parents. And eat ice cream. I miss ice cream – I’m dieting at the moment.
8) If you were stranded on a desert island and could wish for one luxury item, what would it be?
Tricky. I’d have to go for a massive ball of yarn. I’d then find a way to make a crochet hook out of what was on the island, and crochet stuff to while away the time.
9) If there was one thing about yourself you could change, what would it be? Physical or psychological.
Personal motivation. I’d make myself more driven to do stuff, or at least make my ability to work less dependent on my will to work. I’d get so much done if I could be bothered.
10) What do you do to relax?
Crochet and watch something on Netflix. At the moment, it’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer. In the past it’s been Avatar: the Last Airbender. When I’m done with Buffy I’m moving on to Scrubs.
11) What writing project are you currently working on?
Anyone who has been reading my blog recently knows that very well. Not that many people have been reading my blog recently. I think my daily updates have been putting people off or harming my search engine ranking or something. Anyway, it’s the story of Fiarra, who is trying to overthrow the slavery-endorsing regime that took over her home town when the empire that settled it abandoned it, and see justice done for those who were part of it.
Questions for my nominees:
1. What story or story element did you abandon but still want to use some day?
2. Who is the person you admire most in the world and why?
3. If you won £1,000,000 or $1,000,000, untaxable, what would you spend it on?
4. Given the choice of being a witch/wizard at Hogwarts, a Hobbit in Middle Earth, or a Pevensie sibling in Narnia, which would you choose and why?
5. What one place is most special to you?
6. What music do you listen to to get into the writing mood?
7. What do you dislike most about your writing?
8. What landmark or achievement have you reached in your writing in the last 12 months?
9. If you could have a chat with any famous person, living or dead, for one hour, who would it be and what would you talk about?
10. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
11. What is the best piece of advice you could give a new writer?
Right, cool, this was fun. I look forward to seeing how my nominees respond. Do check out their blogs and also Diane’s blog linked above.