I offer proofreading and copy editing services. If you are interested in hiring me, please email me at email@example.com to begin discussions.
I use Word’s Track Changes feature so you can see what was edited, and I can return files in both clean and changes tracked versions if desired. I can also make edits via Google docs if preferred.
- Correct spelling
- Correct grammar
- Correct punctuation
- Check consistency, for example regarding British vs American English.
- Correct spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Check consistency, for example regarding British vs American English
- Identify potentially confusing phrasing and suggest alternatives
- Suggest improvements to sentence structure to improve flow, clarity and impact.
Qualifications and areas of expertise
My qualifications and experience for proofreading are as follows:
- A-level English Literature, 2006
- BA Ancient History and Archaeology, 2:1, 2010, University of Leicester
- MA Classical Civilisation, Merit, 2012, University of Leicester
- Proposals Co-ordinator, Carillion Plc, January 2012 – May 2015. This role included writing, adapting, editing and proofreading technical responses to Pre-Qualification Questionnaires (PQQs) and Invitations to Tender (ITTs)
- Freelance proofreader and copy editor, July 2015 – present.
I have specific expertise in the following areas:
- Archaeology and Ancient History – I spent four years at university studying archaeology and ancient history and as such am familiar with the relevant technical terms and academic tone. During this time I proofread classmates’ essays and dissertations.
- Construction Engineering – As a Proposals Co-ordinator at Carillion, my role included proofreading and copy editing responses written by technical experts. On occasion edits were quite extensive, including adapting notes into appropriately formatted and structured paragraphs.
- Fiction – I am an experienced reader, reviewer and writer of fiction, in particular fantasy. Most recently I copyedited A Star-Reckoner’s Lot by Darrell Drake, a 105,000 word fantasy novel set in Sassanian Iran.
Try before you buy
Committing to get a big project like a novel or paper proofread is a big expense, so I offer free samples. I will proofread your text up to 2,000 words for free, schedule permitting. Just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can make a start.
“Alice’s expertise in ancient history brought a welcome perspective to her role as an editor, and my novel is decidedly better for having her keen eye and critical mind.”
– Darrell Drake, author of upcoming novel A Star-Reckoner’s Lot, which I proofread.
“I am extremely pleased with the services provided by Alice, I received a timely and thorough proofread of my MSc with detailed comments on the structure and grammar of my dissertation research.”
– Joseph Carvell, NHS therapy manager, for whom I proofread a medical dissertation about a treatment for diabetes.
“Very fast and cost effective. A recommendable editor/proofreader. Will rehire when I have other documents of similar nature.”
– Desklf, client via Upwork (formerly Elance), for whom I proofread three documents which had been translated from Korean.
My full Upwork/Elance job history and feedback can be found here.